Saturday, May 26, 2007

Cheeseburger at Hamburgers, Sausalito CA




We just moved to Sausalito and I've been driving through the tourist-filled downtown several times and smelled some divine grill smell. Yesterday my wife finally spot the source and spot me the place, which was a small burger stall right in the middle of prime Sausalito tourist area. Today I decided to give it a try after my ferry ride from San Francisco. I joined the endless line of people and waited my turn. The local guy in front of me happened to know a bit of history about the place so I got proper update while waiting my burger.

The place is simply called Hamburgers. Despite their not-so-original name the place has been there for over 25 years. Current owner bought the place a few years ago and the previous Asian owner really make the place famous with her world famous burgers. The recipe for their success has been simple since the beginning: Fresh ingredients, rotating flame-broil grill, prime location with endless flow of tourist around the year, and of course the tasty burgers.

I was told that they use to ground their own meat on location and everything was really fresh. The new owner changed direction a bit and he only uses organic ingredients. Their beef comes from Creekstone Farms and it's USDA certified black angus - 100% vegetarian, hormone and antibiotis free meat. And the cheese is Finnish Lappi (Finlandia) cheese.

Their signature has been the rotating grill which sits behind their only window. Window is blurred with grease and flames hit high when the juices from the burgers hit the flames and the smell is ventilated to the street. That's proper marketing for your nose and eyes if you happen to walk by the place.

So, after a while I finally made my way inside the place. Burger options are simple, you can have hamburger or cheeseburger. They also serve chicken and steak sandwiches, hot dogs, super beef burrito and fries. Everything on it means lettuce, tomato, onion, relish, mayo, mustard and ketchup. Prices are high, $6.60 for a cheeseburger and $2.55 for the fries. Prime location definetly has its effect to the prices.

When I crossed the door step I was already asked my order and they gave me a waiting number. I ordered a Cheeseburger with everything on it except ketchup. I stayed in the line until I reached to the counter, paid and got my burger wrapped in paper. They only have three tables inside and most of the people eat their burger on the street or in the park across the street. So I squeezed myself out of the place and headed to a park across the street.

I opened the wrap and enjoyed my burger in the sunshine and felt like a happiest guy in the world. My nearest burger joint serves excellent burger which taste like home made. This burger was really good; tasty, fresh and perfectly stacked with a proper homemade feel in it. Recommended!

Next time I will call my order in to avoid the long waiting time in line. They had a note on the wall saying: If you live in the area, call your order in, it will be ready when you get here.

--
Hamburgers
737 Bridgeway
Sausalito, CA 94965
+1-415-332-9471


Larger Map | Street View